Sustainable tourism involves enjoying activities and experiences that will not damage the natural environment and the local community, promoting sustainable travelers with environmental consciousness.
Over the past 30 years, Costa Rica has become an outstanding developer of the so called Green Culture, leader of eco-tourism. The country has gained first place in the region and fifth place in the world. Costa Rica’s culture of peace, even with nature, has been converted into a citizen culture, and the identity of the country itself. That is why, Costa Rica government as well as all Ticos and Ticas, have taken a special interest in environmental topics, and the creation of environmental policies that secure the natural resources of the country for future generations.
The Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) has designed a especial program to control and reward those companies that are committed to protecting the environment and have a sustainable economic activity in tourism. The program was created in 1997 and it is called "The Certification in Sustainable Tourism Program (CST)". It was designed to differentiate tourism sector businesses based on the degree to which they committed with a sustainable model of natural, cultural and social resource management. The CST is a pioneer idea in Central America and there are several intergovernmental agreements to expand this idea to other countries in the area.
The Happy Planet Index 2.0
Banana Adventure Tours Sustainability Mission Statement
"Banana Adventure Tours will always promote activities that are certified to have the minimum negative impact on nature, working with companies that share the same interests. Our employees will be given sustainable education and awareness, to assure our guests a great service while promoting sustainable touristic practices."
Banana Adventure Tours devotes a great deal of energy to make a difference, taking into consideration small important aspects such as:
- In our office we recycle paper, plastic and cans. First we clean all bottles and cans and we have a special place to organize them before taking them to a recycling place.
- All the companies we work with and the tours we offer are chosen according to their vision and mission statement, under the premise of Sustainable Tourism.
- We try to keep our paper work digital, so that we use as little amount of paper as possible; and when we use paper, we reuse it so that will not waste anything.
- All our marketing is done virtually to avoid the printing of excessive waste.
- All the employees in our company have training on sustainable tourism.